Congratulations Class of 2023!
St. Edward’s is excited to honor our Undergraduate and Graduate degree recipients with special in-person festivities occurring on campus.
*Please refer to our Commencement Day Guide for additional details about arrival, parking and venue instructions. You can also find the link to the live-streamed ceremony here and digital program.
The heat index on Saturday will likely be in the 90s during the ceremony. There will be water available throughout campus and guests can cool off in campus buildings (like Ragsdale Center, Holy Cross Hall, and Trustee Hall) before, during and after the ceremony. Carter Auditorium will also serve as a conditioned space where you can watch the live stream!
We invite you to campus for a day of celebration on May 6, 2023:
- Baccalaureate Mass: 10:00 a.m. (Recreation and Athletic Center)
Students: Meet in your gown only (no cap and no hood) at the UFCU Alumni Gym by 9:45 a.m.
- Student Arrival: Noon (Please arrive in the Mabee Ballrooms no later than 1:00 p.m.)
- Ceremony: 2:00 p.m. (Lewis-Chen Family Soccer Field)
Additional details related to logistics can be found in the FAQs below, which will continuously be updated as information becomes available.
- Legacy Walk & Red Door Revelry: Immediately following ceremony
- South Congress Market will be open 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Jo’s Coffee Shop 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Campus Bookstore 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
On Thursday, May 4th we will host two Graduation Practices on campus in Jones Auditorium:
- 3:30 p.m. practice for graduates from the School of Behavioral and Social Sciences and the Bill Munday School of Business
- 4:15 p.m. practice for the School of Arts and Humanities and School of Natural Sciences.
Both practice sessions will cover the same information and are only split to ensure that we have enough space for all graduates to attend. If you cannot make the practice for your school of study, it is perfectly fine to attend the session for the other schools. Graduation Practice will cover the information listed in the Commencement Day Guideand answer any questions that you may have. You do not need to bring your regalia to Graduation Practice. Attending Graduation Practice is not mandatory, but strongly encouraged.
Join us on Wednesday, March 22 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. in the Mabee ballrooms for GradFest. A one-stop shopping event for all your graduation needs. At GradFest you can:
- Pose for your commencement portraits (caps and gowns will be provided for the portraits)
- Order your cap and gown
- Order your graduation announcements
- Order your class ring
- Confirm your certificate with the Registrar's Office
- Pay off fees with Financial Services
- Learn about Graduate programs
- Get advice from Career Services
Come and go as you please. Stay for as little or as long as you need. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.
Identity-based Graduation Celebrations
Join Identity Graduation Celebrations
The Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion hosts several identity-based graduation celebrations, like our Asian Student Graduation Celebration, Disabled Student Graduation Celebration, and more. For more information and to register to participate in these special events, please visit their page. Please note: all celebrations and cords/stoles are open to both undergrad and grad graduates.
Day of Commencement Details
Where is commencement located?
St. Edward's University, Lewis-Chen Family Soccer Field
3001 South Congress
Austin, Texas 78704-6489
What time is the ceremony?
Ceremony will begin at 2:00 p.m.
What time will gates open?
Gates will open at 1:00 p.m.
How long is commencement?
The ceremony will last approximately 2.5-3 hours.
How many tickets can I have for commencement?
Students attending commencement will receive a total of 7 tickets.
Do I need guest tickets for Baccalaureate Mass? If so, how many tickets will I be given?
No ticket for Baccalaureate Mass is necessary.
Will a photographer be available? Am I able to purchase photos of myself walking across the stage?
Every student will be photographed twice during their commencement ceremony. Flash Photography will email students 1-2 weeks before the event to provide pricing details.
Free proofs will be mailed and emailed within a week of the ceremony. If you have any questions, please contact Flash Photography
Can guests purchase celebratory gifts (flowers, etc.) for graduates on-campus?
Be sure to visit The Commencement Group to pre-order flowers and a commemorative class t-shirt for pick-up on the day of graduation. Bouquets and shirts will also be available for purchase onsite!
How do I order graduation announcements?
Graduation announcements can be purchased through Balfour. Balfour will be in attendance at GradFest (March 22nd) if you prefer to order in-person).
What date should be listed on my graduation announcements?
Although the decision is ultimately up to the graduate, the university recommends that graduates list the official commencement date on announcements. This date is Saturday, May 6, 2023.
What will the arrangements on the Lewis-Chen Family Field be for the commencement ceremony?
A tent will cover seating areas. Water and additional restroom facilities will be provided. All arrangements will be in compliance with the City of Austin, university policy and follow standard emergency planning procedures.
How will the university provide an accessible experience for graduates and guests?
Accessible guest seating will be available at the front of the ceremony. In addition, parking will be available next to East Hall. Golf carts will also be available for guests needing assistance to each graduation event, and hard surfaces will be on the field to ensure a stable ground for movement.
Where should graduates and guests park for graduation?
Campus parking on Saturday, May 6, 2023 will be complimentary and available in all lots and the garage, except orange lots.
Will there be a clear bag policy put into place?
Who should I contact with concerns about how my name is pronounced while I cross the
Graduates will have their names read by a faculty member from their school/program. Each
graduate will have a name card to hand to their faculty reader immediately before they cross the
stage. Graduates can make pronunciation notes on the card ahead of time. If you would like to
reach out to your reader prior to the ceremony, you may email them with pronunciation notes.
- Dr. kris sloan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctorate of Education in Leadership and Higher Education
- Master of Arts in Educational Innovations
- Master of Education in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science in Leadership and Change
- Dr. Melissa Alvarado, email@example.com
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Dr. Mary Dunn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Accounting Analytics
- Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Master of Science in Digital Marketing and Analytics
- The Bill Munday School of Business Undergraduates
- Dr. Amy Concilio, email@example.com
- Behavioral and Social Sciences Undergraduates (includes New College and Teacher Education)
- Dr. Billy Earnest, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arts and Humanities Undergraduates
- Dr. Lisa Goering, email@example.com
- Natural Sciences Undergraduates
What happens if there is inclement weather?
If inclement weather occurs:
- The undergraduate ceremony will be scheduled for 2 p.m. in the Recreation and Athletic Center (RAC) on campus
- The graduate ceremony will be scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in the Recreation and Athletic Center (RAC) on campus
Due to space constraints in the RAC, each undergraduate will be able to have three guests view the ceremony inside the RAC. Both ceremonies will also be live streamed to a variety of locations on campus to accommodate additional guests. We will decide and communicate inclement weather plans no later than Monday, May 1, 2023, and the live stream locations will be provided here.
Commencement Hotel Booking Details
St. Edward's has worked with a hotel near campus to offer discounted hotel rates for our commencement guests. These rates are guaranteed for commencement weekend, May 5-7, 2023.
*It’s important to confirm the dates are correct when using the booking links, as they might not default to commencement weekend dates when the link is opened.
Instructions below to access their discounted rates:
- Go to coltonhousehotel.com
- Click Book Now or Check Rates & Availability
- Click Groups & Companies (upper right)
- Sign-in credentials are below:
- Group username: stedwards
- Group password: stedwards2510
Austin Southpark Hotel
Book your corporate rate for St. Edward's University.
Discount applied to any size room available.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin South
Reserve rooms under the discounted room block (must book by 5/5/23):
- Call 877-834-3613 or 512-851-1000 and mention block code STE
- Book online St Edwards Univ. Graduation
May 2023 Commencement Speaker
We are excited to announce the 2023 commencement speaker will be newly elected mayor, Kirk Watson. For three decades, Watson has been immersed in public policy, spanning local and state government in Texas. He served in the Texas Senate for over 13 years, leading on a wide range of issues and serving as a member and vice-chair of multiple standing and special committees.
For questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.