As a Catholic university founded by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward’s University has a long history of educating students from diverse backgrounds. We value the contributions made by undocumented students to our community, and we are committed to providing students the support they need.

If you have any questions please contact Financial Services Counselor Annie Hinojosa (orador español).  You can also reach Annie via phone at 512.428.1326

Undocumented students are foreign nationals for which one of the following may be true:

  • entered the US without inspection
  • entered the US legally but overstayed
  • have or had Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • are in the process of becoming a documented citizen
  • are vulnerable immigrants

The term "undocumented immigrant" refers to any person residing in any given country without legal documentation.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA is a federal program for people who came to the US as children and meet several eligibility requirements. DACA provides a two-year deportation reprieve and applicants may apply for a work authorization permit, which is subject to renewal. It does not provide lawful status. Only adults who were 31 years old or younger on June 15, 2012 qualify for this program.

For more information about DACA, visit

Merit and Institutional aid

Undocumented or DACA students are eligible for the same merit scholarship as U.S. Citizens.  St. Edward's University offers undergraduate academic scholarships through the review of your admission application.  Students are notified of their merit scholarship award in their acceptance letter.

To be considered for aid beyond merit scholarships, students have several options:

Need-based Grants for DACA and Undocumented Students (undergraduates only)

Need-based grants are awarded based on demonstrated financial need.

How to Apply for Financial Aid at St. Edward’s

The priority application deadline is January 15 for new students and March 1 for current students.

TASFA - For Texas students

FAFSA (on paper) - For
out of state students

FAFSA (online) - Optional
for students with a DACA SSN

Click here for English version

Click here for Spanish version

Click here for English version

Click here for detailed instructions (in Spanish)

Go to or use the
myStudentAid app

Beware of common mistakes

If your parent cannot electronically sign your
FAFSA due to not being able to get an FSA ID,
be sure to print and submit the FAFSA signature
page directly to St. Edward’s.

Other requirements:

  • Tax Return Transcripts from OR
  • Tax Return(s) with signatures OR
  • Signed statement about untaxed income OR
  • foreign tax documents is applicable

Please submit all documents through our secured online myHilltop portal.


Undocumented students are not eligible for U.S. federal educational loans since these loans require U.S. citizenship or certain eligible non-citizen status. 

Private/alternative educational loans are an option for Undocumented and DACA students. These loans allow application with a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident co-signer. The loan co-signer must have a U.S. social security number, a satisfactory credit history, and demonstrate sufficient current income to repay credit obligations (including the educational loan). With a creditworthy co-signer, a student can borrow up to the Cost of Attendance minus other financial aid. The interest rates on these loans are variable. 

St. Edward’s Monthly Payment Plan

St. Edward’s monthly payment plan offers an opportunity for students to take advantage of this payment plan to pay out their expenses over the course of a semester. The university does not charge interest for the deferred portion of the payment plan, although it does charge a nominal participation fee each semester. Students can elect to enroll in this plan during registration.